On the 5th November 2020 at around 15h00, the city of Rustenburg was hit by heavy rains, storms and lightning strikes. As a result, there were widespread electricity failures due to trees falling onto power lines, strong winds breaking power lines and insulators surrendering to water ingression. The Rustenburg Local Municipality wishes to extend its unreserved apology to customers that were adversely affected by the recent power outages and the inconvenience that followed thereafter.
Prior to this act of nature, there was vandalism at the Eskom Marang Switching Station supplying RLM Waterkloof Substation, which regrettably caused power interruptions to Boschdal, Cashan, Safarituin, R24 and Waterfall East areas, including the Samancor Millsell Sylvania Plant.
Whilst technicians were busy with the restoration, persistent bad weather continued thus affecting substations and power lines located in the following areas:
- Industries Sub – K6 Mine, Seraleng, Ramochana, part of Zinniaville & Karlien Park and Noord
- Kroondal Sub – Kroondal Line, Ikemeleng, Indian line, Pta line, Rainbow Chicken, Zuurplaat, Modderfontein, Waagfontein, Rhenosterfontein, Boschfontein and R24
- Voltaire Sub – Boitekong Ext 2,4,5,6, 13 & 23, Paardekraal Exts, Sunrise Park and Sunrise View and Million Dollar.
- Alpha Sub – Kutlwanong line
- Donkerhoek – Rietvlei line and sections of Protea Park.
Individual households were not spared from the intermittent power outages as the Municipality received numerous individual complaints from Zinniaville, Noord, East End, Boitekong Extensions, Paardekraal Extensions, Bo Dorp and Seraleng respectively.
Our Electrical Teams have been working tirelessly and have to this extent, completed the following repairs and restored power to following sections:
- Waterfall East, Nyala Rock, Samancor Plant, Noord, Seraleng and Ramochana and Kutlwanong Deaf School.
- Boschdal, Safarituine and Cashan
- Kroondal Town, Ikemeleng, Old Pretoria Road, R24 Road, Zuurplaat, Waagfontein, Modderfontein, Boschfontein, Oorsaak and Rainbow Farm.
- Boitekong Exts, Paardekraal Extensions, Sunrise Park and Sunrise View.
- Tree prunning was also done in the R24 lines and Zand street 6. MV Cable jointing X6 7. Repairs on the broken MV line in Rietvlei and Modderfontein
Although the Municipality had hoped to have fully restored power in the shortest time possible, the scale of the damage has proved to be much greater than initially estimated and as a result, there are still some outstanding faults that require our attention.
We have therefore developed a plan and allocated 6 X Teams during working hours and 3 X Teams after hours, to ensure that the City has lights fully back on by the 11th November 2020.
As of last night, there were several outstanding individual household complaints as well as Section faults, particularly in the East End areas. Residents can be assured that as our technicians continue to conduct repairs even around the clock, ensuring that Bo Dorp, Klopper 263 to 267, R24/Boschfontein – affecting R24 Boschfontein up to Hunters Rest and Dinnie Estate have their lights back on as soon as is possible.
We once more apologize for the inconvenience caused and be assured that the matter is receiving attention with the utmost focus that it deserves. Further updates will be provided periodically as work continues to be carried out.
Your continued patience in this regard will be highly appreciated.