The Rustenburg Local Municipality appeals to the public to be responsible and to adhere to the guidelines before placing waste outside for kerbside removal.
- That all waste items that have been in contact with individuals that are confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19 (e.g. used tissues, disposable cleaning cloths, gloves, masks, etc.) are disposed of securely within a refuse plastic bag, separate from the rest of the household’s refuse.
- When full, tthis special refuse plastic bag should then be placed in a second black refuse plastic bag (double bag) and tied to prevent any waste from spilling from the bag.
- Double-bagged refuse bags must be stored separately for five (5) days in direct sun, before being placed outside your home for collection by the Municipality. The safest option would be to store bags for an additional week before domestic waste collection is done. This will ensure that the COVID-19 virus is killed.
- In the case of wheelie bin removal service, residents are reminded to have all personal hygiene and sanitary products double bagged (placed within two small plastic bags) before placing waste inside a bin. Examples of personal hygiene and sanitary products are tissues, used gloves and masks, etc.)
- Residents are requested to please sanitize or wash hands with water and soap for 20 seconds before and after handling wheelie bins or black refuse plastic bags. This measure is to protect both the public and the essential refuse removal teams.
- Residents are requested to sanitise wheelie bin handles and wheelie bin covers.
- Residents are requested to refrain from approaching refuse removal personnel. Please keep a distance of 2m at all times.
- The black refuse plastic bags or wheelie bins can be placed out for kerbside removal after the above mentioned steps have been followed.
- Please put your bags and wheelie bins out for collection, as close as possible to the time of arrival of the waste collection services.
- Please secure the bags in order to ensure that your pets do not have access to the bags to prevent them from tearing the bags or spilling the contents.
For all technical enquries please contact the Unit Manager Waste Management, Mr Julian Nkoana on 0145903101/8 or firstname.lastname@example.org