The simmering relationship between the Rustenburg Local Municipality (RLM) and South Africa Police Service (SAPS) continues to bear fruits for the community of Rustenburg. There had been an outcry amongst the people of Rustenburg about open dealings in drugs and prostitution everywhere, mainly in the Central Business District (CBD) and surrounding areas such as Rustenburg East and Rustenburg North.
The Executive Mayor of Rustenburg Cllr Mpho Khunou has since initiated the Safe and Clean City Campaign a few years ago, as a program to rid the city of drug and human trafficking, and prostitution including all traces of crime.
The city has this past Friday seen the unprecedented joint operations undertaken by RLM and SAPS that took place from the afternoon till late at night. The main thrust of the operation was crime prevention and enforcement of municipal by-laws. The outcome of the operation is summarised as follows:
· Demolition of properties (Houses) operating illegal activities
· Arrests made of people involved in drug peddling, possession of illegal firearms and dangerous weapons
· Closure of businesses operating illegally, including fines issued for noncompliance with municipal bylaws
· Arrests made, and fines imposed for illegal electricity and water connections
· De-bushing and clearing of open spaces linked or identified as havens for criminal activities.
Members of the community, business and other organs of state are encouraged to partner with the municipality in the fight against crime.
For further enquiries kindly contact Mr Andrew Seome on 014 590 3525 or 082 717 4374.