The Rustenburg Local Municipality has noted the article published on the weekly edition of the Rustenburg Herald dated 11 September 2020. The article made reference to the valuation roll and related processes, which were publicly communicated by the Municipality after the concerns that were raised by property owners.
This matter was tabled before the Council on the 28 August 2020. The council inter alia resolved per item 135 as follows:
- That Council note the progress report;
- That the Council take note of the MEC approval for the extension of the current valuation roll for the financial year 1 July 2014-30 June 2020 to 30 June 2021 as prescribed;
- That the extended date of implementation of the new General Valuation Roll is the 01 July 2021;
- That the Council is required to approve the process plan to ensure that time period for valuation is complied with;
- That the Municipal Manager dedicate an official to supervise the implementation of the Valuation Roll.
Having regard to the above, the Rustenburg Local Municipality wishes to put the following on record:
- The MEC for Cooperative Governance Human Settlement and Traditional affairs (COGHSTA) has granted the municipality with the extension of the validity period of the current valuation roll to the 30th June 2021.
- The Municipal Manager has established a Steering Committee representative of Cooperative Governance Human Settlements and Traditional Affairs (COGHSTA), the Municipal Valuer and RLM Legal and Budget and Treasury Office (BTO) officials to monitor the implementation of the valuation roll process plan.
- The Municipal Council has also established a Multi-Party Committee to monitor the implementation of the approved Valuation Process Plan. The Steering Committee is regularly reporting to the Multi-Party Committee about the progress in as far the implementation of the Valuation Roll is concerned.
- Steering Committee sits once a month and had already held four meetings to ensure that the municipality can comply with the deadlines as outlined in the process plan.
The Municipality will continue to communicate with residents using various official communication platforms, as has been the principle previously. In the interest of transparency as well as promotion of good governance, given the undeniable public interest on the matter any decision or update which will affect residents will be announced timeously.